Every once in awhile you come across a piece of gear that becomes essential. The Arc’teryx Norvan SL Hoody is worthy of the $299 sacrifice.
Simple in design, the Norvan SL is a very thin zip up hoody. At a glance, you might not even notice where the magic is. The light 120 grams, 4.2 oz. jacket is made from GORE-TEX® with SHAKEDRY™ material. This new product from GORE-TEX® was released 2015. It is the waterproof membrane of GORE-TEX® without another fabric welded to it. This makes the material even more breathable and featherweight while maintaining the waterproof windproof barrier.
The Arc’teryx Norvan SL didn’t have me feeling overheated on runs. This is a year-round piece of equipment to protect from wind and rain. The Norvan SL comes with a small pouch to pack it in, but most likely that will be lost in my junk drawer. When I was out for a run in the low 40ºs, I was able to quickly remove the jacket and store it in my Orange Mud pack when the rain died down. Later when the wind picked up, and I started to get a chill, I was able to whip the jacket back out and get to a comfortable temperature in a jiffy. I have never had a jacket that when packing you can do a couple of matador twirls and the water is gone, and the hoody is dry. When it is time to put the jacket back on you are not grabbing a wet mess.
The fit of the Norvan SL is athletic without being too tight. The normal size medium fit my 5’11” 165 lbs perfect.Shop Arc’teryx
Arc’teryx Norvan SL Hoody features
- Compressible and packable
- Ultra compact
- GORE-TEX® with SHAKEDRY™ technology eliminates the need for face textile
- Trim, slim fit, optimizes exceptional breathability during high output
- Hood can be rolled and secured with snap when not in use
- Fitted hood with elasticized brim ensures visibility when in use
- Zippers & Fly Configuration
- WaterTight™ front zip with chin guard
Cuff & Sleeves Configuration
- Shaped cuffs with low profile elasticated cuff at wrist
- Elasticized bottom hem for secure fit
Logos & Label Configuration
- Reflective elements on cuffs for enhanced visibility in low light
Thomas is the Founder of Believe in the Run and has always been a gear junkie, and when he fell in love with running, he also found a passion for the gear that goes with it. He has been reviewing running shoes and gear through Believe in the Run since 2009. Stats: Shoe size: 10.5 USA, Foot shape: Narrow, Midfoot strike, 35 Marathons, 13 Ultra Marathons, 2 Ironman 70.3